"Borgo San Giovanni was originally called San Gaudenzo and then San Genesio...
In 1469 it was destroyed by a fire.
Its church, dedicated to San Giovanni Battista is much older.
It should date back to 1100 and was rebuilt many times...
This building is a fine example of baroque in Rimini; it contains many works of art. It is worth mentioning the painting by Cagnacci, dating back to 1640, and the works by Giuseppe Soleri Brancaleoni, Andrea Boscoli, Cosimo Piazza.
Next to this church, there's palazzo Ghetti, the old sulphur match factory.
As a matter of fact, "Borgo San Giovanni" has always been the business centre in Rimini... (Extract from : La Voce, 14th April 2000, by Roberto Venturini).