The church was built in 1340 by Congregazione dei Celestini's monks (the Benedictine Order), on the left-hand side of Marecchia river.
During the Second World War it was completely bombed-out; nothing left but the church tower.
Rebuilt in the post-war years in an essential style, it keeps a wonderful 14th century crucifix and some unknown frescos portraying scenes from the Old Testament; they bear witness to Rimini 14th painting school.
On May 9, 2007 the inauguration of the chapel dedicated to the veneration of the relics of Saint Nicholas took place. As a matter of fact the prestigious relics of Saint Nicholas, consisting of his left humerus, has been kept in this church for eight centuries. If once it was shown for veneration only on December 6th, the feast of St. Nicholas, and several other occasions, with the opening of the new chapel today the relics are now available for veneration every day.
Via Graziani 2 / piazzale Cesare Battisti - Rimini
Feriali Ore 8.00
Festivi Ore 10.00